The dairy industry has been in the headlines in recent weeks. This raises some topics for discussion in relation to the dairy industries outlook. In this Chewing The Cud discussion we look for balance on the issues and ask-
- Does the Glanbia peak supply measures conversation suggest that Ireland’s dairy seasonality model and unlimited dairy expansion is broken?
- How can Ireland deal with peak milk processing?
- Does IFA’s recent Lidl and Aldi campaign plus subsequent legal proceedings highlight a greater issue regarding the retailer/ dairy processor relationship?
- Is there now a strong argument for a national ‘Ornua-like’ marketing body for Irish liquid milk?
- Will consumers pay more for dairy if asked to share the burden of environmental and sustainability costs?